Friday, November 9, 2012

Franken Friday, #8!

I present to you, Unicorn Girl!



Pretty simple, a purple jelly with gold glitter. The story behind it however, is long & complex... When my mother died, she left me all of her knitting needles. Now, I was NOT a knitter at the time... I was a stubborn crocheter, & insisted that you could crochet anything that could be knit. (This is NOT true; each craft has their strengths & weaknesses. Truth be told, I was afraid to learn how to knit beyond garter stitch. Now? I'm addicted!) Finally, one day I decided to bite the bullet. So, while visiting my sister upstate (who had the majority of my mom's stuff in her attic), the night before we went to get matching tattoos of our mom's symbol, we cracked open some beers & decided to sort the needles. There were a gaBILLION. Naturally, we wound up getting a little tipsy, & I decided to sing a song about the first thing that popped into my head. I saw a pair of purple needles, & a pair of gold needles... and kablammo! "Purple & gold, that's the color of the unicorns... & some people like it tooooooo!" My sister nearly drowned on her beer laughing.

So of course, I had to make us singing it my voicemail... and then when my friend Ash Gray heard it and the story, he loved it so much that he wrote a pretty amazing song, using it as the inspiration. (You can buy it on iTunes, I think.) I'm credited on his album as "the unicorn girl", hahaha. So when I had a desire to make a purple & gold polish... well, what else could I call it? ;-)

0 comments: